Wiki Billing Medicaid Patients

BGoldsberry

Contributor
Best answers
Hello there,

Does anyone know of a link where I can find information about billing patients who are covered under Medicaid or an MCO? Including charges for a missed appointment, no show, etc. Some of us are under the impression that a Medicaid patient can never be billed even if a particular procedure is not covered.

Thanks!

I found info under the provider manual for our Medicaid program. It mentions about billing for non-covered services but not about no shows. I know we can't bill our patients on Medicaid in our area

you can review the medicaid manual online through CMS but we bill our Medicaid patients for their co-pays from their primary insurance which is legal and as long as you have the patient sign a detailed financial statement that they are aware they owe for these services it is legal. Now if it is a caresource or unison you need to read your contract, I know in our caresource contract you cannot legally bill the patient for missed appointments. hope this help. sharon davis-day, cpc sdavis@atlasrehabandwellness.com