Wiki Billing Locum Tenen

lweatherford

Best answers
Hello,
I have a Psychiatrist who is credentialed under a group with medicare. He wants to see nursing home patients under his personal medicare PTAN which he has not credentialed with yet. Should he contact a Locum Tenen to see his medicare patient's while he is in the process of credentialing for a personal PTAN?:confused::confused:

If he is credentialed under a group he should have a number. What do you mean he wants to see people under his own PTAN? I think I don't understand the situation fully.

I would add that locum tenens is for a few very specific circumstances and I'm not sure this would be one of them. Check the Medicare manual 30.2.10-11.

I guess I am not understanding why he wants to see patients outside of his group. I also thinks if he is not credentialed then no one can be a locum for him.

Last edited:
You can't be credentialed with a group until you are credentialed as an individual. Provider would have completed an 855I first, then 855R for reassignment of benefits to group. He likely has an individual PTAN you just have to find out what it is.

Also, some (if not all) MACs allow back billing back to the date of the app for a PTAN. We just hold the claims until we receive the PTAN letter