Wiki Billing LCSW

snjberry

Networker
Best answers
I'm new to Mental Health billing and have just sent credentialing for 2 new LCSW's and was asked by my supervisor if we had them start working in our practice if we could bill under a supervising MD or psychiatrist. I told her I didn't believe so but I really don't know.
I'm under the impression that LCSW's are credentialed and billed under there own NPI and then the group NPI for payment. I'm NYS provider.
Thank you
Sandi

Hi Sandi ,

We are currently starting to bill out under our LCSW and truly we are billing out under the LCSW NPI but she is registered under the facility Tax ID . This ensures that payments come to the facility . Now a LCSW is a lower fee schedule than an MD or Psychiatrist. For example We have an outpatient client doing group therapy however sees the MD for medication Management or just medical issues . We would bill the therapy under LCSW and bill the office visit under the MD. This way you are paid the full fee schedule on both services and not them saying it is bundled or inclusive to the group therapy. Hope this helps.