Wiki Billing for Telephone Calls using codes 99441, 99442,99443 and or G2012

kguzikowski

Best answers
Is anyone billing for the above codes and getting paid for the codes the telephone related encounter? I know that prior to COVID 19 many payers did not reimburse for these codes.
Changes with billing and coding have changed so much almost daily it seems, so just wondering with the 2021 CPT guidelines are the payers allowing for payment of theses codes.
If we choose to implement these codes as part of patient care, not on a regular basis and only if patient initiated, it would not be solely for COVID 19. Our physicians are Nephrologist
so we do have many ESRD patients. Your input is appreciated.

The billing of telephone calls is not restricted to COVID19 treatment/evaluation, etc. It may be for any reason. Yes, we are billing and getting paid for these presently. For patients not being seen in the practice, we are doing telehealth, but if patient is technology challenged, then we are doing telephone.
As of the last I heard, these codes are being temporarily allowed by Medicare (and most commercial insurances) during the pandemic only - just like the telehealth lifting of restrictions. It is possible that after the pandemic insurances will continue to cover these. I have not heard of any carriers changing their policy without the "temporary during pandemic" caveat. Unfortunately, I think we will just have to wait and see what the insurances decide.