Wiki Billing for rx call

It's my understanding that a full E&M service must be provided by the physician (over the phone, email, etc) and then it would be billable as an "e-visit". Typically, these are only being done for acute symptoms and illnesses such as sinus problems, coughs, fever, etc.

As far as charging for a refill or something of that nature, it can't be billed.

Hope that helps.

A few years ago I encountered this situation, I was unclear as to whether we can bill a level-1 (99211) for this type of service, so I called Blue Cross & I spoke to an RN and she told me that if the physician had to review the chart & call the prescription in then yes this constituted a level-1 charge (99211) I'm not sure if this is true today, but maybe you can check with the patient's insurance. :)

A 99211 is a face to face encounter whether it is the physician or the nurse, the patient must be in the office to use that code. The Phone call codes 99441 - 99443, 98966 - 98968, and e-mail 99444 and 98969 are for services that are generated by the patient to either the physician or other qualified health care professional in the office. Not the physician calling the pharmacist.