Wiki Billing for procedures when you know will not be paid?

HangarPilot

Best answers
I could use a second opinion. We have a large Medicaid population and daily bill procedures we know will not be paid for.

The prevailing mindset is that you should "always bill for everything that was done." Of course I can see the logic in that. Then again, knowing it will not be paid bothers me because it's extra work to bill it and then turn around when posting the payment and just adjust it off.

Our two most frequent examples are vaccine counseling (90460) and developmental questionnaires (96110) ... the Medicaid HMOs do not pay them. Ever.

Opinions? Is this a common approach - billing for things to show you did them (regardless of payment)? Or are we just creating extra work for ourselves?

You have a papertrail for when you can bill the patient as well as proper documentation to avoid lawsuits. It comes up when the cases involves workplace or motor vehicle accidents.

Peace
@_*
There are also tax benefits if you are into accounting and such.

Have you considered putting this service in as zero charge? You would still be recording that the service was done but it would not be adding additional charges to your aging, or to your write-offs. You also would not have to adjust it off after it denies.

Someday, someone is going to ask....how many times have we done vaccine counseling in the last year?

Thanks so much for the input! I'm not a fan of "because we've always done it that way" or "because I said so" as an answer ... I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.