Wiki ? Billing for "No-Show"

datanguay

Best answers
I need to verify that my orthopedic speciality office, located in MA, can bill for NO SHOW's.
They were told they could not, by their lawyer. But, what I learned is that we could, as long as the policy is posted for the patient. Is this in fact true? Would greatly appreciate accurate info in regards to this issue. Thanks a million.

I have this saved from a 2008 article from the AAFP:
According to the Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 1 - General Billing Requirements, CMS' new policy allows physicians and suppliers to charge Medicare beneficiaries for missed appointments, as long as they also charge non-Medicare patients for missed appointments.

Calling it "a charge for a missed business opportunity," Medicare says the amount of a missed-appointment charge must be the same for all patients.

Physicians should not submit claims to Medicare for no-show charges because Medicare "does not make any payments for missed appointment fees or charges imposed by physicians," and such charges should not be billed to Medicare. However, according to the Medicare document, Medicare law and regulations "do not preclude the physician or supplier from charging the Medicare patient directly."

We also made it part of our Financial policy explaining our offices protocol regarding No Shows and have the patient sign it. This is kept in their record for future reference if needed. And we have an automated system for reminder calls that will remind them again of the policy.