Wiki Billing for cast supplies/splints

smh

Contributor
Best answers
I am new to Ortho coding as seeking guidance. I am billing a initial fracture care code for Boxers fracture and needing to know what code to bill for supplies. We do NOT have a DME license so I am assuming I cannot bill HCPCS codes for supplies? Also, since I cannot bill HCPCS can I bill 97760 or 99070 without a DME license and is anyone getting reimbursed for those 2 CPT codes? Thanks for any help!!

You can't bill these

You can't bill for casts or splints unless they are replacements. Fracture care has a 90 day global. So casting/splint is included with that.

Replacement casts and follow up X-rays can be billed though.

You can't bill for casts or splints unless they are replacements. Fracture care has a 90 day global. So casting/splint is included with that.

Replacement casts and follow up X-rays can be billed though.

I understand that, my question is in regards to the CPT/HCPCS codes for supplies......

You will need the HCPCS code, not 99070

You will need to bill the HCPCS code, not 99070.

99070 gives the insurance no information at all, and nothing to base payment on.

For supplies I would not think so

For casting and supplies I don't think your going to need a DME license. I have never heard of it.

Our clinic has a company that takes care of the walking boots and other such DME in the clinic. So I'm sure they do. But just billing plaster supplies for making a cast, I really don't think so.

Splint clarification

In documentation states that short arm splint placement was placed.
As per CPT Book ,we have two options for splint code ( dynamic /static). Pls clarify that which one want pick ? what is the difference btw dynamic /static splint ?

Pls give ur valuable feedback.

Thanks,
Bharathi tamilvanan,CPC

Choose the static splint

The doctor is almost always going to apply a static splint which holds a limb in place.

A dynamic splint has some motion. And you will almost never see that.