Wiki Billing EGD

TAWANNABANKS

Best answers
Pt just had an ERCP. and was noted to have riespiratory difficulty post ERCP. While bing monitored, the pt also developed subcutaneous emphysema in the neck region and in the right chest. A quick endoscopy to r/o any gross perforation was done. Can I charge for the EGD since it was done as a result of the ERCP? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
That is tricky. :confused: I think technically speaking you can...a service was provided afterall but I am not sure if you should. Maybe report it but do not charge for it? This comes up with us sometimes and I think it comes down to each individual situation. Was there any perforation? To much meds maybe? provider error? or was it just an unfortunate complication?

Pts. usually have to sign a consent where they are notified of the risks of these procedures and so if an unforseen complication resulted then they would be aware that other tests may need to be performed in order to treat them appropriately.

Did the same provider perform both tests? It wouldn't be fair for provider B to not get paid for services he provided...

At the same time if the respiratory difficulty and subcutaneous emphysema in the neck region and in the right chest was caused as a direct result of provider error then No, I don't think the EGD should be charged to pt.

Perhaps have a talk with your provider(s) and see what they feel is appropriate with the circumstance in which the EGD had to be performed...whatever it may be. Sorry. I hope this helps...