Wiki Billing Consults

ajhunsicker

Best answers
I work in an orthopedic office with 2 providers both orthopedic surgeons. Dr. #2 approached me today and wants me to start charging consult visits when Dr. #1 refers a pediatric patient to Dr. #2. Dr. #2 specializes in pediatrics. Now, my question is, can I charge a consult fee if Dr. #1 writes a written consult request to Dr. #2 for a pediatric consult. I was just not sure since #1 does treat pediatrics as well, just does not specialize in that field. Same practice, same general type of physician??? With so much out there on E/M coding, I become so confused at times and I just completed some work on E/M coding and still get confused. Thank You.
AJ

I believe this would be acceptable. Make sure to have the 3R's documented clearly. The reason, request and that a report was sent back to requesting.

IN your case you are probably on a shared record, i am not sure that you would have to physically give requesting a report, vs having him look it up.. might want to check into that though.

Do you know where I could find information on the shared record and physically giving a requesting report vs just looking it up in EHR with in the same practice.
Thanks again. AJ