Wiki Billing/Coding drive up covid testing only

Tracie67

Best answers
I am looking for some help with how people are billing/coding their rapid Covid Tests when the patient drives up and does not see a provider. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the response. The patients call our Covid hotline and are evaluated by an RN and then they are either told to drive up for a Covid test or not. There is confusion regarding which codes we can use for this when they are technically not seen in the office or evaluated by a provider.

I am not in the thick of this being in gyn oncology, so input from primary care in the same scenario as you would be helpful and welcome.
Unless there is an exception for covid testing I am unaware of, a clinician still needs to order the test. I know some states issued executive orders to temporarily expand some responsibilities. I think it is permitted if a clinician has a pre-set standing order if patients meet certain requirements, which is still an order from the clinician.
From the AMA link I provided, I believe scenario 8 could apply to your situation for patients who are not coming in for testing.
Part of the Scenario 3 advice applies for a patient coming to the practice for testing. You obviously can't bill the telehealth if it didn't take place, but the right side indicates 99211 has been approved for specimen collection by Medicare and check with commercial carriers. Note the "when requirements are met" caveat. Look at what is required for incident to - clinician needs to order, direct supervision, etc.