Wiki Billing an office visit for a patient that resides in a facility

Best answers
I work for a rheumatology office. We saw a patient who resides in a psychiatric facility. She was taken out of there for just that day to be seen in our office. Is there a code that can be used for this situation?

I wish I could help. This is an interesting topic. We've had issues where patients from a skilled nursing facility (Part A Medicare) come to see our rheumatologist for services. In this case "Consolidated Billing" rules apply. I don't know if your situation would apply here, as we're still coming up against these rules and their directives for proper billing. I actually walked into a skilled nursing facility one day and asked to speak to their billing manager to have them explain to me how this all works. Hopefully you'll get a better more concise answer from others in the forum who have had the same experience. Will be following this topic......

consolidated billing applies to certain patients and the determining factor is "what" they are in the facility for. For instance, patients receiving chemo or dialysis while in a facility, the facility receives that months' payment from Medicare or Medicaid for room/board/supplies and also they are paid for chemo admin. and dialysis tx. But for a psych pt, I do not see where consolidated billing would apply. You would bill an E/M new or est code with POS 11 for office.