Wiki billing a non-patient

JULESTB

Best answers
Hello,
I work for a Hospitalist group. The other day a NON patient went to the cafeteria for lunch and coded. My doc responded. Can she bill for her critical care or is this considered like a good Samaritan since it was not a patient to the hospital, just a visitor? Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

Was the patient subsequently admitted to that facility? If your hospitalist provided a face-to-face service to the patient subsequent to the code, he or she should be able to bill for an inpt. service. Remember, all work provided on the date that a patient is admitted is rolled up into the admit service. If the patient did not survive to be admitted, I think then the service provided is not billable.

Outpatient

If the patient "recovered" but was not admitted, you would be using POS 22 (Hospital outpatient).

Bear in mind that time spent in CPR cannot also be used to qualify for 30 minutes or more of critical care.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Once treatment is rendered to a person, regardless of why, they are now a patient.

This provider was at work and provided a service, this is not a good samaritan act in my opinion at all but a medical provider doing their job. It is most certainly billable.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC