Wiki Billing 99211 for Rx pickup?

jhyatt3080

Best answers
Can a provider bill a 99211 for the pickup of a written prescription? The patient is not scheduled for an appointment, never signs in, and has no face to face contact with any clinical staff.

No this would be inappropriate billing of a visit level. While the provider does not need to be face to face with the patient for a 99211 the patient must be face to fax wit a qualified medical professional in the office to bill this level, there would need to be medical necessity for the visit and could need documentation that would support the billing of a visit level.

And the person behind the desk is not always a QMP. They are just a secretary or an assistant of some sort.

I have always wondered if that was billable myself seeing as I have monthly medications I need to collect. Though thinking back at it, I have no additional charges other than paying at the pharmacy.

Last edited:
In our office we charge a $5.00 fee to refill any routine medications needed outside the patient's appointment time. However, we do not charge for medications that can only be filled for 30 days at the time or any "urgent" medications like antibiotics that are just needed occasionally. Patients sign the clinic policy agreeing to this when they become patients.