Wiki bill for discharge???

If the patient went home the same day then you will bill the admit/discharge same day code for the service. If the patient stayed overnight and the Dr. discharged him home the next day then he CAN bill for the discharge...if he actually discharged him; however if someone else d/c'd him then he cannot.

Discharge global to fracture care

If the patient went home the same day then you will bill the admit/discharge same day code for the service. If the patient stayed overnight and the Dr. discharged him home the next day then he CAN bill for the discharge...if he actually discharged him; however if someone else d/c'd him then he cannot.

Once you code the fracture care, you are in a 90-day postop global period. Discharge will be covered by the postop global period.

I would code only the initial E/M with -57 "decision for surgery" modifier as well as the fracture care.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I disagree with billrapid---there was a procedure performed, therefore you can not bill as you indicated in your post.

I totally agree with Tessa...she is right on the money :)

same here agree with Tessa, once they do surgery they cannot charge for any subsequent hospital visits or discharge unless it is unrelated to the surgery/fracture care.

you can't bill a discharge unless the pt was admitted so if this was just a fx care during post op then nope