Wiki bilateral multiple injections

Stacyharter98

Networker
Best answers
I have a good one. My physician injected bilateral hips and multiple joints in each hip. so the physician did both trochanteric joints and both posterior superior joints. Would you code it 20610 50 modifier and then the next line 20610 50 59?

Actually I thought the same thing, however as I researched it is composed of multiple joints. I had to really dig on this one. I had worked for ortho surgeons for nine years prior to moving to multi speciality a few years ago. I hadn't coded ortho in a few years so I was doubting myself. I did research and called for a second opinion and was told your "hip area" is composed of multiple joints.

Yes the hip has multiple components but I still think you can only charge for the one injection per side. So only 20610 with 50 modifier. And the hip is only one joint with multiple components in the joint.

I agree with the rest of the ladies. Take, for instance, the knee joint...there are three different compartments, but there is only one joint that houses all of these compartments. Same goes for the hip joint.

I have to agree, I work in an orthopedic office and you can only bill for one injection in the hip. Sorry ladies. Unfortunetly it works the same as the knee.
Anita, CPC