Wiki Bilateral iliac stent placements with only on side occluded

dibosmiley

Best answers
Can both stent placements be charged when both stents are used to treat a total occlusion only one side? I remember reading if only one side is being treated, we can only charge for one stent placement.

Report states total occlusion of right iliac. Recanalization of the r. Common with kissing stent placement bilateral common iliacs. Catheter probed occluded rt iliac. Stents deployed at bifurcation. From the left, express stent deployed at the same time as a express from the rt groin. After deployment, aortogram showed patency of stents.

I asked the interventionalist is there was stenosis of the left and he said no, that it was placed just to held hold up the right side.

Impression: Total occlusion of rt common ililac successfully recanalized and stented using kissing technique.

I abbreviated the report, but this is the gist.

Report states total occlusion of right iliac. Recanalization of the r. Common with kissing stent placement bilateral common iliacs. Catheter probed occluded rt iliac. Stents deployed at bifurcation. From the left, express stent deployed at the same time as a express from the rt groin. After deployment, aortogram showed patency of stents.

I asked the interventionalist is there was stenosis of the left and he said no, that it was placed just to held hold up the right side.

Impression: Total occlusion of rt common ililac successfully recanalized and stented using kissing technique.

I abbreviated the report, but this is the gist.

"I asked the interventionalist is there was stenosis of the left and he said no, that it was placed just to held hold up the right side."

If that statement is documented in the note/report, I would not code for the left side stent placement. If that statement is not in the note/report, it should be added. Medical necessity for the left stent has not been established, IMO.

HTH :)