Wiki Bilateral 58661

kterry0474

Contributor
Best answers
When billing a salpingectomy (58661) for sterilization (z30.2) should it be billed as 2 units with a 50 modifier. I was under the assumption not because of the dx is inherently bilateral.

CPT changed the rationale for 58661 this year. In the past, it was considered bilateral by CPT and a 50 was not applicable (payer exceptions). Now, CPT is saying it is unilateral, so a modifier 50, (qty1) is applicable if it is performed bilaterally.

Specifically, CPT has made the following statement: "Laparoscopic removal of adnexal structures performed on both ovaries and/or tubes should be reported with modifier 50, Bilateral Procedure, appended to code 58661 to indicate that a bilateral procedure was performed during the same session. The term "structures" in the code descriptor refers to the partial or total removal of the tube and/or ovary from one side of the anatomical location."

I would look into the specific payer guidelines for how they prefer bilateral services to be reported. I have seen some payers prefer two lines (one with -RT and the other with -LT) instead of one line with the -50 modifier.