Wiki Biceps tendon tenotomy

Best answers
I am new to orthopedic coding, still learning. Can anyone help..... Surgeon performed rotator cuff repair (29826), distal clavicle resection (29824), subacromail decompression (29826), debriment of labral tear (29822) and bicep tendon tenotomy (??????). How do i could tenotomy? Medicare patient.

Thanks, :)

brenda@starortho.com

Last edited:
Tenotomy

Brenda, this procedure done by scope is an unlisted 29999 and compare to the open procedure 23405. Hope this helps, Paula:)

I am new to orthopedic coding, still learning. Can anyone help..... Surgeon performed rotator cuff repair (29826), distal clavicle resection (29824), subacromail decompression (29826), debriment of labral tear (29822) and bicep tendon tenotomy (??????). How do i could tenotomy? Medicare patient.

Thanks, :)

brenda@starortho.com

Brenda, I agree with Paula...29999 is correct...but just so you know, Medicare will not reimburse for those bicep tendon tenotomies. The amount of work that it takes, just a snip, is considered incidental to the bigger procedures, per Medicare. So I bill them out, but when Medicare denies the tenotomy I write it off. I used to Appeal them, but to no avail, and I've heard from alot of other Ortho coders that they run into the same problem with this & Medicare.
Jenna