Wiki Benign sebaceous cyst from nipple

TanBro

Networker
Best answers
My doctor removed a probable benign sebaceous cyst from a nipple (done in office) and sent it in for biopsy. For Excision of sebaceous cyst of nipple should I do 19120 or use 11400 codes? I'm thinking it 19120 but I'm not sure. But then again 11400 because it a skin lesion. Can someone clarify this for me?

Last edited:
Hi, looking at the lay description for 19120 and without seeing the note , I would be inclined to go with the 114 code for a sebaceous cyst as I would think they are not going deep into the tissue..
With the patient appropriately prepped and under local or general anesthesia, the provider excises aberrant breast tissue such as a cyst, tumor, or fibroadenoma. She makes an incision on the skin above the lesion to access the abnormal tissue. She takes the incision down to deep tissues and dissects fascia and muscle away from their attachment to the diseased tissue. She then excises the tissue and carefully removes it out of the breast. She controls bleeding with electrocautery and closes the wound in layers. She may excise additional lesions if necessary. The provider may leave a drainage catheter for some time to enhance healing. This procedure can be performed on either a male or a female.
The amount of tissue removed depends mainly upon the risk the tumor presents to the patient. Pathological evaluation of biopsied tissue is done to decide the nature of the tumor (benign or malignant). A malignant tumor may need a more extensive excision that includes parts of the surrounding tissue

Hi, looking at the lay description for 19120 and without seeing the note , I would be inclined to go with the 114 code for a sebaceous cyst as I would think they are not going deep into the tissue..
With the patient appropriately prepped and under local or general anesthesia, the provider excises aberrant breast tissue such as a cyst, tumor, or fibroadenoma. She makes an incision on the skin above the lesion to access the abnormal tissue. She takes the incision down to deep tissues and dissects fascia and muscle away from their attachment to the diseased tissue. She then excises the tissue and carefully removes it out of the breast. She controls bleeding with electrocautery and closes the wound in layers. She may excise additional lesions if necessary. The provider may leave a drainage catheter for some time to enhance healing. This procedure can be performed on either a male or a female.
The amount of tissue removed depends mainly upon the risk the tumor presents to the patient. Pathological evaluation of biopsied tissue is done to decide the nature of the tumor (benign or malignant). A malignant tumor may need a more extensive excision that includes parts of the surrounding tissue

Totally makes sense. Ty so much. Yes, it was not deep in tissue, and it was 3mm big so I'm going to go with 11400. They used Lidocaine with epinephrine for numbing.

Per CPT assistant" report 11400-11446 for excision of sebaceous cyst, these tumors originate from the dermis or adnexal structures and are not considered soft tissue tumors, even though they may protrude into the subcutaneous tissue."