Wiki benign neoplasm

Petlorilea

Contributor
Best answers
It was my understanding that the neoplasm codes are not to be used unless/until pathology has been performed. I am in family practice, and when my providers refer to dermatology, they use a benign neoplasm code (for instance 216.9). There has never been a biopsy; they just deduce it is benign but have the patient consult with derm. I would rather that the unspecified code 709.9 be used.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

No, I believe that unspecified is when the pathologist considers the biopsy to be a tumor, but not is not specific.
I have it in my brain that all neoplasms need to be coded after pathology - even benign; I just can't lay my hand on the info...which could mean that I am mistaken. I don't know why every neoplasm category is dependent upon path EXCEPT benign. That throws all logic out the window for me

Per ICD guidelines, Neoplasms of Uncertain Behavior are those of which histological confirmation of a specimen, whether the neoplasm is malignant or benign, cannot be made.

In your case, prior to biopsy/pathology, the Unspecified Behavior codes are correct.

Hope this helps!

Per ICD guidelines, Neoplasms of Uncertain Behavior are those of which histological confirmation of a specimen, whether the neoplasm is malignant or benign, cannot be made.

In your case, prior to biopsy/pathology, the Unspecified Behavior codes are correct.

Hope this helps!

The original post suggesting the 709.9 is correct. This cannot be uncertain behavior without a path report. Unpecified is defined in the ICD-9 Cm book:
The term "mass" ( when used in quotes like this it means mass and similar terms such as lump or bump or lesion, etc) is not to be considered a neoplastic process. If after a preliminary diagnostic the provider states tumr, or growth then we may code this as a neoplasm unspecified. So a skin lesion is 709.9.