Wiki BCBS

Best answers
I work for a large Physiatry practice who has providers all over the country. We bill with our Corporate Tax ID and NPI which is listed in NJ. My question is do I have to contract with each states BCBS or just NJ and submit all BCBS through NJ?

I am not sure if it is the same but in Michigan we only contract through MI and the backs of all cards indicate to "file with local BCBS plan" The local plan should then forward to the out of state plan for processing, you should not have to separately credential. Again, I am not 100% sure if it is the same between NJ and Michigan but I would think it should be!

I am not sure if it is the same but in Michigan we only contract through MI and the backs of all cards indicate to "file with local BCBS plan" The local plan should then forward to the out of state plan for processing, you should not have to separately credential. Again, I am not 100% sure if it is the same between NJ and Michigan but I would think it should be!
My issue is my doctors are all in different states but all use our Corporate Tax ID and NPI both of which are issued for the state of NJ. It's not patients with out of state BCBS.

I work for a large Physiatry practice who has providers all over the country. We bill with our Corporate Tax ID and NPI which is listed in NJ. My question is do I have to contract with each states BCBS or just NJ and submit all BCBS through NJ?
I think this is something you'll have to work out with BCBS - probably best to talk with a network representative. With BCBS, services normally have to be billed to the local BCBS plan in the state where those services are rendered. However, BCBS does contract with many national providers like yours - e.g. large labs and DME companies who provide services throughout the country - so they do have ways of setting this up. I don't believe that they would require separate contracts for each state in which you work, but to be honest, it's been many years since I dealt with these issues and my information may not be current. I think if you get in touch with someone well-versed in contracting at the NJ BCBS plan, they should be able to direct you on this. It's important that you get it set up correctly in their system and understand their billing requirements really clearly, otherwise it could turn into a real mess.

My issue is my doctors are all in different states but all use our Corporate Tax ID and NPI both of which are issued for the state of NJ. It's not patients with out of state BCBS.

If patients are being treated in office, you're going to need to credential every practice location.

You're probably going to need separate contracts with each local plan as well. I'm on the border between 2 states - one of our offices is just across the border in Michigan, and all the rest are in Ohio. We bill the same tax ID for all locations, and we need to contract separately with BCBS Michigan and Anthem (BCBS in Ohio).

Start with your network representative at BCBS New Jersey, and they should be able to walk you through what you need to do. (Or at least put you in touch with someone who can.)