Wiki Basic xray question/help!!!

tdavid

New
Best answers
I work with a family practice and the MD will be doing basic xrays soon...we hope. I am looking in to the coding portion of it and reimbursement. I see just for basic code 71010 (chest xray) that the reimbursement for Medicare is like $18 or less. Does that code include interpretation as well???? For what I understood the TC was if the provider read it only and the 26 was professional component only....SO VERY CONFUSED!!! :confused: Please help anyone.....

He is wondering also why the hospital can charge like $250 for a chest xray (I do understand there are multiple view etc) and only the reimbursement is this. Maybe I am missing a code for just interpretation?!?!?!

Thanks so much.

I work with a family practice and the MD will be doing basic xrays soon...we hope. I am looking in to the coding portion of it and reimbursement. I see just for basic code 71010 (chest xray) that the reimbursement for Medicare is like $18 or less. Does that code include interpretation as well???? For what I understood the TC was if the provider read it only and the 26 was professional component only....SO VERY CONFUSED!!! :confused: Please help anyone.....

He is wondering also why the hospital can charge like $250 for a chest xray (I do understand there are multiple view etc) and only the reimbursement is this. Maybe I am missing a code for just interpretation?!?!?!

Thanks so much.

TC is used if you only take the x-ray and don't interpret it. Modifier -26 is when you interpret the x-ray but it was taken elsewhere. If you are billing for both taking and interpreting the x-ray, then you bill the code without a modifier - the global service. If you look at the 70000 codes in the fee schedule, there should be 3 separate listings:
71010; 71010-TC; 71010-26.
- 26 = professional component =interpreting and providing a report
Make sure the interpretation is separately identifiable and similar to what a radiologist would provide. Just noting "x-ray normal" within the body of the visit documentation is not enough to bill for a separate x-ray charge.
-TC = technical component = taking the x-ray using your own equipment, tech, room, supplies, etc.
The global combines those, and the fee for global is equal to the technical component and professional component added.