Wiki Basic question regarding left and right

Jkiralla

Best answers
I am a student, new to coding and I am confused as to when to use LT or RT when coding CPT. Do you always use LT or RT if indicated? Example- partial left lobe hepatectomy, or, removal of dental implant in left mandible. Would both of these examples be coded with a LT extension?

LT and RT Modifiers

If I know which side, I always append the LT and/or RT modifier if the service is rendered unilaterally. NCCI edits speak to using the 59 modifier to identify distinct procedural services but the 59 should be used only when there is not another modifier that would make this distinction (e.g., LT, RT, E1, F3, T7).

Basic question regarding RT and lT modifiers

I forgot to add that a 50 modifier should be reported and not a RT and LT when a procedure is rendered bilaterally and the code description does not specify bilateral procedure or unilateral or bilateral procedure.

Using the RT or LT modifier or the 50 depends on the payer if I remember correctly. I don't think I've used the 50 very often at all. Also, I usually use it only for extremities, eg hand or foot. I probably wouldn't use it for an organ.

LT and RT are used for anything that there is a right and a left of, so it can be more than just extremities, it can be lungs, kidneys, etc. Maryann is correct, 59 should only be used when there is not a more specific modifier to describe what is going on. As far as 50 and LT/RT go, that is payor specific, I believe Medicare requires 50, but beyond that not sure about individual states and private insurers.