Wiki bariatric psychological assessment

Best answers
when a patient comes in for bariatric psychological assessment to behavioral health, im wondering if we use the diagnostic assessment codes 90791 and 90792? i cannot find anything else that fits. unless im just looking in the wrong place. HELP! how are other facilities billing for this?:confused:

It's actually difficult to answer your question without knowing a little more about what services you are performing, where you are or what level of service you are at. This can vary depending on the level of specificity of your provider. My BH providers all perform comprehensive evaluations (not assessments) on potentials bariatric (or GBP) patients; this is truly the only sure way to know if a patient is psychologically sound for the procedure and the requirements which follow. An evaluation is performed with the provider starting with a typical interview (basically a new pt eval), then followed up with a test, such as an MMPI, or a Milon (personality inventory tests) then the tests are scored, the results are compared to the findings in the interview, compiled and then a final report is written to be sent to the provider who will perform the GBP. Therefore, if your doc has the ability to bill at medical level, you could start with a 99205, or the 90792 (preferably the 90792, unless you are an MD or a Prescribing Psychologist like I have in my state). Follow up the next day with the testing with a coding from 96101 - 96103 series; which are billed in 1 hour units, from time of testing to the finish of report, and includes technician time, not just provider time and does not require all of the time to be face to face with the patient. This not only gives you a more comprehensive evaluation of the patient but a better utilization of your providers billable hours.