Wiki Back and stuck on Encoders again, trying to understand them.

Best answers
Has anybody tried an encoder program for their coding? What is it like, is it much easier to code reports? I know AAPC has practicode and codify, is codify just like find a code or is it an actual encoder program?

Encoders including Codify are similar. What are you coding? I have been coding orthopedic surgeries for ten years. My company supplies EncoderPro and it speeds up coding especially when dealing with several procedures performed during the same session. Another coder I know uses Codify and she says it's similar, just laid out differently and supplies other information. I can only speak from my experience. Without it, my work would slow down significantly. Maybe someone who primarily codes E/M can tell how they use it.

I personally would describe an encoder as your coding books on steroids. Besides everything in your CPT/ICD/HCPCS, you will have additional descriptions of each code. It will give you RVUs, NCCI edits, LCDs/NCDs, global periods, allowed modifiers, MUE, Medicare fee schedule. It's all the info in your books, plus just a whole lot more. You can make favorites, and notes (that don't have to be recopied into new paper books every year). It's not a magic wand where you type in a single word, and it gives you the exact CPT/ICD10 you should use. You still need to read the descriptions, coding guidelines, etc. Depending on what you code, it might save you 30 minutes a week, or might save you 6 hours a week.
Most employers will supply you with an encoder (Codify for me). I use it often to check NCCI edits, whether an assistant surgeon is allowed, and for LCDs/NCDs. When I occasionally come across new procedures, it is helpful to read a paragraph explaining the surgery as opposed to one sentence. If my employer did not supply an encoder (never worked somewhere that did not), I might pay out of pocket for one, but find the cheapest one and only the basic subscription.
Most have free, short, trial subscription so you can see what they are like.

There are a lot of different options depending on if you are coding physician, facility OP/IP, what type of specialty, etc. I personally starting using EnCoder (Optum) about twelve years ago. I rarely use books anymore. The book I use the most is ICD-10 for the guidelines and chapter intructions and sometimes I just like to consult the paper book to confirm things. I would not be able to work efficiently and effectively without a coding program. I have used 3M and some other ones minimally. Employers have always supplied these programs for me.
It's faster, easier, accurate and brings together all the various guidelines like Christine described above. I agree it's not a magic wand that where you just type something in without reading and understanding coding guidelines.
I have worked as a production coder, A/R rep, supervisor, manager, auditor on both provider and payer sides and I would despise my work if I did not have an encoder. When I managed a coding team I had some folks who had no experience with it and wanted to use books but it was required that they use the program. It's just not efficient and way too slow not to. Especially if you are coding surgeries and have multiple lines that need to be ordered by RVU and run through an edit check. Doing that manually is insane. I agree, try out some of them and see what they're like. I personally love the Optum product because I have used it for so long and know the ins & outs.

The AAOS has one specfically for Ortho called Code-X. https://www.aaos.org/quality/coding-and-reimbursement/orthopaedic-codex/
AAPC Codify https://www.aapc.com/codes/
Optum https://www.optumcoding.com/product/20510/
I think AHIMA might have one?

What everyone said above, but also...

The books are heavy! I'm a hybrid employee. I leave my books at the office - it's so much easier to use the encoder at home rather than lug the heavy books back and forth.

(I mostly use the encoder in the office too, because it is a habit now. But it's nice to have the physical copy of the books for reference.)

wow thank you so much, this has been very helpful. I'm thinking of trying Practicode, just one module the easiest module with codify. I just want to experience an encoder program for coding and see what it is like. Which module of Practicode is the easiest.