Wiki AWV billing

dragonclawz70

Networker
Best answers
One of my providers charged a G0439 and when I double-checked her office note there was no mention of it. I did see the BLANK Medicare annual wellness form in the patient's chart so I asked her about it. She said she "gave the patient the paperwork and it will hopefully be in soon". Am I wrong in thinking we cannot charge the G0439 without the completed paperwork in the chart? With that being said, if the patient does actually fill out the paperwork and bring it back to the office within the next week or so, in that case is it okay to put the charge through?

NO, the patient has to fill it out that day. You cant send home that specific paperwork for the patient to fill out and then bill it out. The provider should have discussed everything on that AWV form in the visit, on that day. You are not wrong in thinking that you cannot charge G0439. You should only charge what the provider documented, and if the patient did not fill out this paperwork that day and the provider did not discuss this AWV paperwork with the patient on this day, you cannot bill for an AWV.