Wiki Average time to code a medical record

ms.bones206

Networker
Best answers
I code for 23 Orthopedic surgeons. I code all types of visits and sx's....Office visits, outpatient pcr's for physiatry injections (CESI, Facet, MBB, RFA,s etc..), and sx's for the doctors' OR pcr not the hospital (spine, ORIF, CTS etc..). I'd love some feedback on what the appropriate industry standard is for each of the categories to code a single medical record. Some days the work is blended but I can calculate that based on any responses I receive. Thanks so much in advance...I couldn't find a clear answer on line, so I'm asking the experts...My AAPC peers.

It really depends on if you have to hunt for the records, or get information from more than one system. In my last job, the productivity for the SDS coders is 6 surgeries per hour. E&M and office procedures were 12 an hour.

The answer varies a lot from employer to employer. There are many factors that could affect productivity. I do not have specific time metrics, only accuracy.
For example, at my employer there are multiple computer systems that are only somewhat integrated. Some surgeries, I have to first log onto one system to view the op note. Log onto system 2 and check the patient in (verify insurance, etc) to create the encounter. Then log onto system 3 to enter the charges and link them to the encounter. Log onto system 4 to mark the surgery as billed. So I may have coded the surgery itself in <5 minutes, but then it was another 15 minutes of computer time.
Other variables: What other work is the coder performing? In some practices, they are also billers. They may cover front desk phones for lunch or vacations. How many weekly/monthly meetings are there? Are coders coding CPT and ICD10 or just one of them? How much experience does the coder have in the specialty?
For ballpark, I personally think E/M with an integrated system should be 10-15 per hour. Surgeries (depending on specialty and experience) 4-8 per hour.
I have heard of radiology coders with productivity requirements of 30 per hour.
AHIMA had this article about productivity standards: https://bok.ahima.org/doc?oid=302649#.YS0Y1N8pDnh