Wiki AV Fistula intervention

jewlz0879

True Blue
Best answers
Question: Can you bill venous atherectomy (37799) AND Thrombectomy (36870) in a Fistula? Medicare is telling me it is global. I'm assuming they only want to pay one or the other but I can't find any documentation stating you can't bill these two together. I have Dr. Z book too and can't find anything in there either.

Any guru's out there??? PLEASE! Thanks a million.

Happy Friday

Question: Can you bill venous atherectomy (37799) AND Thrombectomy (36870) in a Fistula? Medicare is telling me it is global. I'm assuming they only want to pay one or the other but I can't find any documentation stating you can't bill these two together. I have Dr. Z book too and can't find anything in there either.

Any guru's out there??? PLEASE! Thanks a million.

Happy Friday

just a couple of thoughts...was this performed at the same session? If so, the global period is irrelevant. If they were not performed in the same setting but during the global period of 36870, then apply a modifier 58,78, or 79 to the unlisted code.

If 37799 is bundling with 36870 (same session), and is clearly a separe proceure, with separate documentation, then you could try modifier 59. Be advised that overuse of modifer 59 can raise red flags.

HTH :)