Wiki Autograft of the knee

rjenn86

Guru
Best answers
My doctor performed a talus auto-graft (cpt 28446) due to the type of injury he was not able to auto-graft the talus so he did an auto-graft of the knee and inserted it into the talus. He wants separate billing for this autograft and everything I have researched says I am not able to do that. Is there a code I could bill for the knee auto-graft??

I would suggest you read the code description for 28446. It includes obtaining a graft, it cannot be reported separately.

Autograft

An autograft simply means tissue which is taken from the patient, it is usually taken from one part of the body to be used as a replacement or augmentation for another part. Some CPT codes will mention autograft in the description, and the allowance is greater to compensate for the greater amount of work that has to be done, to harvest the graft from a separate location. If the graft is harvested from the same incision or even the same structural element as is receiving the graft, then you would not use the code that includes the autograft in the description.