Wiki ATU Infusion Visit- Outpatient, E/M?

beck123

Best answers
Hi,
I work for a private medical practice. Our providers visit hospital outpatients in the hospital ATU when the patients are receiving various infusions, e.g. Actemra, IVIG, etc. The hospital provides the infusion equipment, staff and medication. The hospital performs the actual infusion. The provider is there to do a brief exam and check that the patient is healthy enough for the infusion. They may address other issues while there, e.g. referrals, refills, etc.

My question is, what should we bill for their visit to the ATU? They fill out a short form H&P and dictate a brief note with a CC and HPI. We have been billing for office/outpatient visit, 99212-99215, depending on documentation.

The providers were told they could bill some "kind of high level hospital admission visit" and don't understand why we are billing the office/outpatient visit. As far as I can tell, this is the correct code to bill. I checked with another doctor's office, and they bill the same way. The patients are outpatients, not inpatients or observation status.

Any advice?

Thank you!