Wiki Attestation to Resident notes

kstill78

New
Best answers
Does anyone know if providers are still required by carriers to do attestation for their residents. I know Medicare no longer requires it, is it the same for commercial carriers?

Maybe I need to do some research, but I was unaware of this change to billing for teaching physician rules. I know during the PHE, the physician does not need to be physically present (may be "present" as interactive video), but I don't recall hearing that this does not need to be documented. Can you please elaborate?

Than you, I actually stated it backwards. Medicare requires attestation but not commercial carriers and needed to verify this
In my experience, most organizations will require attestations on all resident documentation as a best practice for compliance. It is just too complicated and creates too much risk to set up separate documentation requirements for different patients based on what the payer is. In addition, the information about a patient's payer may change or be updated by registration or billing after the coding has been completed, in which case the practice could end up billing a noncompliant claim.

I strongly recommend you not tailor this particular requirement based on the patient's payers. Set a single policy that ensures that providers create documentation that will be compliant for all patients in all situations.

In my experience, most organizations will require attestations on all resident documentation as a best practice for compliance. It is just too complicated and creates too much risk to set up separate documentation requirements for different patients based on what the payer is. In addition, the information about a patient's payer may change or be updated by registration or billing after the coding has been completed, in which case the practice could end up billing a noncompliant claim.

I strongly recommend you not tailor this particular requirement based on the patient's payers. Set a single policy that ensures that providers create documentation that will be compliant for all patients in all situations.
This is exactly what I was thinking, thank you so much for your response!