Wiki Attempted LHC

10marty

Best answers
Could someone help me with this scenario, report as follows:

75 y/o gentleman with h/o CAD, severe PVD with classic claudication who is in need of peripheral angiography to evaluate peripheral anatomy.

The patient came to the cath lab, both groins prepped and draped and more than 45 minute attempt to obtain and access. Patient had no palpable pulses in either groin and severely calcified femoral arteries bilaterally. Radial and brachial artery access was not an option and the procedure was called off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Marty

Could someone help me with this scenario, report as follows:

75 y/o gentleman with h/o CAD, severe PVD with classic claudication who is in need of peripheral angiography to evaluate peripheral anatomy.

The patient came to the cath lab, both groins prepped and draped and more than 45 minute attempt to obtain and access. Patient had no palpable pulses in either groin and severely calcified femoral arteries bilaterally. Radial and brachial artery access was not an option and the procedure was called off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Marty

Marty,
In cases like this you either need to go with what was actually done and bill for that only or reduce it down. For instance needle introduction of extremity artery(if they got that far) or you say attempted LHC with modifer to reduce( 52 if reduce and patient is stable or 53 if reduce and patient became unstable. IS this the whole report? Sounds to me you might be able to use 36140 at least.