Wiki Assistant surgeons guidelines

Kstrobel

Best answers
In the past, my doctors have stated the assistant was present and assisted with the entire operation, but I have one doctor that says one assistant opened and another closed. I haven't had much luck getting two assistants paid. When there are cosurgeons - mod 62, one will often open and close while the other does the rest of the surgical portion- the cpt is split, is it the same with mod AS? I can't find any guidelines regarding how much an assistant has to perform to be able to charge for it. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for any discussion or answers!
Karen Strobel

Modifier -AS is specifically only for a non-physician provider assisting (PA, NP, etc). I am not aware of any carrier that will pay for multiple assists.
If the assisting surgeon did not assist the entire procedure, you may want to look at modifier -81 minimum assistant surgeon. I don't know what the exact requirement is for -81 vs -80. If it was a one time thing, I would ask which of the assistant surgeons was present for more of the procedure and bill that with -81 & nothing for the other assist. If this is an ongoing thing, you may want to investigate further and also inquire why this is occurring.