Wiki Assistant Surgeon

ljhollis

Best answers
When a provider is using a NP as an assistant during surgery isnt it true that the role that the nurse practioner played in the surgery must be documented? Meaning everything that the NP did during the surgery must be documented correct? If they are able to bill for this would I use the AS modifier? If you have any websites that can get me more information on this that would be a great help also. Thank you in advance for you help.

Lori Hollis CPC :)

Below is a well written article...

Documentation Must Support Medical Necessity

Documentation must establish medical necessity for all cases when a surgical assistant is used. Although a payer might not request documentation when a claim is filed, and might choose to pay a claim without review, you shouldn?t file a claim without documentation to support it. An operative note detailing the need for services rendered is not just a coding and reimbursement requirement, but also a compliance and ethical requirement.

The surgeon should specify in the body of the operative report what the assistant actually did. It?s insufficient to simply list the assistant?s name. The surgeon should clearly explain in the ?indications? paragraph of the note why an assistant was necessary, and that he or she was involved in the actual performance of the covered surgical procedure, and not simply there to perform other ancillary services.

http://news.aapc.com/index.php/2013/07/prompt-proper-assistant-at-surgery-payment/

Thank you, I just started with a new company and they need all the direction they can get so I use the AAPC resources alot for proof of what I already know to be true. Thank you again! Have a great day!

Lori Hollis