Wiki Assigning CPT Code 52601

geris17

New
Best answers
Hi all, we have just received several letters denying our assignment of 52601, TURP, when physician documents, "rectoscope inserted, bipolar loop attached, median lobe was resected followed by the floor of prostate followed by right lateral wall, left lateral wall and roof of prostate". They suggest 52214 because all of the prostate was not removed or excised, all 5 lobes were not resected. I located a document referring to an AAPC webinar, document not dated so I do not know when posted, and question was posted, " How do we know when to bill for CPT code 52601?" and answer was "52601 is for an initial TURP, no matter the technique used or amount of tissue removed." Is this accurate? Yet Coding Clinic for HCPCS, 4th qtr 2008, pages 7,8 question and answer describes complete as entire prostate. What CPT code would you assign for the above scenario?

Did you receive an answer to this question? I have a similar situation. The doctor fulgurated the bleeding areas of the prostate which continued to bleed so he had to resect the obstructing and friable tissue and hemostasis was achieved. Not sure how I should code this if I should code the 52214.