Wiki ASC Question

Best answers
Hi Everyone,

I work at a podiatry ASC and I'm currently taking classes to become a certified coder. We use a billing company to process our claims for out of network insurances and they are now requesting our anesthesia paperwork. We use an anesthesia company for our surgeries and the anesthesia groups bills for the CRNA's and the group does have some ownership in the facility. This billing company is wanting to use a CPT code for nerve blocks the CRNA is doing so the facility can make money from it. My question is can they do that even though the anesthesia group bills for their services? I'm unclear if this would be double billing or not. The billing manager for our company runs the practice part of billing and has very limited knowledge in surgery center billing and is unsure if this allowable and does not have a great feeling about it. We are trying to figure out if this is a gray area or if this allowed. We don't want to do anything shady that can cause us problems. Thank you for any assistance!