Wiki ASC Post op pain blocks

ASC CODER

True Blue
Best answers
Does anyone have information from Medicare about billing post op pain blocks for pain management ie 64417. Are they not paying it anymore and considering it packaged now? This is specifically for the facility charge. I can't find any documentation that Medicare has put out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

:)

Interscalene block with RTC procedure

Hi,

I too would like to know if there's any information out there that can guide be on what is required when the physician wants to bill an interscalene block in addition to the anesthesia provided for the shoulder surgery. I understand it can be billed together, but what is required in the physician documentation in order for me to bill for this charge, and what code would I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

For interscalene blocks you need to have a surgeon's order requesting the Anesthesiologist to provide it in the record. Bill with 64415-59 and primary dx 338.18 (acute post operative pain) or V58.49 if the patient has medicare-until March 1st then you can use the 338 code for Medicare also, use the surgery dx for the secondary dx.

For example:

29827 (01630)

64415-59

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Thanks for the much needed input!

For interscalene blocks you need to have a surgeon's order requesting the Anesthesiologist to provide it in the record. Bill with 64415-59 and primary dx 338.18 (acute post operative pain) or V58.49 if the patient has medicare-until March 1st then you can use the 338 code for Medicare also, use the surgery dx for the secondary dx.

For example:

29827 (01630)

64415-59

Hope this helps.

We are being told that Medicare won't pay for pain blocks with a same day procedure other than anesthesia Anymore!!! regardless of dx or anything. I was wondering about any documentation on this?

64417 (for post op pain other than anesthesia for primary procedure not done by the surgeon.)

this is the facility charge not surgeons

Ok, you're not billing for the physician who performed the block, you're billing for the facility fee? I don't really know anything about facility billing, only physician. I'm sorry, I missunderstood your question.