Wiki ASC brachytherapy

karismithx

Contributor
Best answers
My ASC has been doing brachytherapy cases for about a year now. When we schedule a case we can only put one surgeon/doctor in our system. The surgeon or doctor listed on the schedule is who appears on our UB04 as the perfoming surgeon. We have always listed the urologist and have been paid just fine. A urologist and a radition oncologist are performing the case together. The question has recently been posed to me why we choose the urologist over the oncologist, all I know is that was how I was told to do it. Can someone tell me who they use? Do you bill out with the urologists name or the radition oncologist on your bill?
Thanks
Kari

Is the oncologist a employee of the ASC? I work in an ASC also and we bill out the urologist only because the oncologist is not an employee of the ASC. If the oncologist is an employee of the ASC than there is actually more codes that you can code and bill for. We ran into this situation in one of my centers and here is a good reference. MLN Matters Number MM6358. Then access teh medicare Claims Processing Manual (chapter 1, sections 30.2.6 and 30.2.7) www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c01.pdf

Hope this helps.
Diann DoBran CPC, CPC-H

Thanks Diann,
No the radiation oncologist is not employeed by our ASC. So I guess I'll just keep billing out with the urologist only, that seems to be the consensus.