Wiki Arthoscope codes

JLQuinter

Best answers
I need input from anyone who has billed for 29876 extensive synovectomy, 29881 partial meniscectomy and 29877 chrondroplasty. We have a doctor who insists that even though we have done 28776 in lateral and suprapatellar comparment with 29881 in medial compartment, that we should be able to bill the 29877(59) for the patellar compartment as well. Can anyone shed light on this for me? All the interpretations I have been able to see say only if separate compartment. Am I misinterpreting the meaning of separate compartments? I need documentation to review with my doctor.
Thanks or your helpl

Chondroplasty-29877..

..a chondroplasty is a chondroplasty is a chondroplasty no matter how many different compartments, you can only bill 29877 one (1) time.

I need input from anyone who has billed for 29876 extensive synovectomy, 29881 partial meniscectomy and 29877 chrondroplasty. We have a doctor who insists that even though we have done ??28776 ??in lateral and suprapatellar comparment with 29881 in medial compartment, that we should be able to bill the 29877(59) for the patellar compartment as well. Can anyone shed light on this for me? All the interpretations I have been able to see say only if separate compartment. Am I misinterpreting the meaning of separate compartments? I need documentation to review with my doctor.
Thanks or your helpl

I use G0289 instead of 29877 (that is how most insurances want it now) for chondroplasty when billed with another arthroscopic procedure.

For instance if doctor did a medial meniscectomy, a medial, lateral and patellar chondroplasty I would code this as 29881 (medial), G0289 (lateral), and G0289-59 (patella). Cannot bill for the medial chondroplasty since that would be inclusive to 29881.
But if chondroplasty is done in different compartments then YES you can bill for EACH compartment separate. There are 3 separate compartments.

Now as far as the extensive synovectomy 29876 I believe that is billable with 29881 and 29880. But 29876 is for synovectomy in 2 or more compartments so chondroplasty would be inclusive to 29876.

I hope I explained this clearly, if not let me know.

I'm not sure if something was updated or what, but my last information from Margie Vaught, Orthopedic Coder's Pink Sheet, Sept 2007 vol.8, No.9 states, 'CPT specifies that you should report 29877 "only one time, regardless of how many areas are debrided or shaved" (CPT Assistant, Aug. 2001). That means that no matter how many compartments the surgeon performs chondroplasty on, you get to bill 29877 just once for the entire procedure.' Any updated information would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not sure if something was updated or what, but my last information from Margie Vaught, Orthopedic Coder's Pink Sheet, Sept 2007 vol.8, No.9 states, 'CPT specifies that you should report 29877 "only one time, regardless of how many areas are debrided or shaved" (CPT Assistant, Aug. 2001). That means that no matter how many compartments the surgeon performs chondroplasty on, you get to bill 29877 just once for the entire procedure.' Any updated information would be appreciated. Thank you.

That is why the add on code G0289 is used instead of 29877 because you CAN bill G0289 more than once if done in separate compartments when billed with another procedure (like 29881 for example).

If chondroplasty was the only procedure done in all three compartments then yes I would bill 29877 only once.

But if chondroplasty done in lateral, patella, and menisectomy in medial then I would code this as 29881 (medial), G0289 (lateral), G0289-59 (patella).