Wiki arthocentesis

julia9723

Best answers
Can you tell me if we need a signed consent for an Arthrocentesis done in the clinic. I read that Arthrocentesis is considered a minor surgical procedure so you need a signed consent. If we do, do you know where I can get it in writing to prove to my doctors.

Thank you

Can you tell me if we need a signed consent for an Arthrocentesis done in the clinic. I read that Arthrocentesis is considered a minor surgical procedure so you need a signed consent. If we do, do you know where I can get it in writing to prove to my doctors.

Thank you

Yes your injection codes are considered minor surgical procedures that is why they are located under the "surgery" section of your cpt book, that "should" be enough proof in writing for them......

BUT

There is great aaos article on this topic, called "taking the pain out of injection coding" you should be able to just google it, that does state in writing exactly what you are saying.

I think it's always a good idea to get a consent and/or an ABN but you may wish to check with the clinic "policy and procedures" regarding this process and/or contact the patient's insurance company to see what their policy requires and document this discussion or process in the patient's chart.

Per CMS you need and/or consent form or ABN however your office works those. If you don't have one and Medicare denies it, your office would have to write it off.