Wiki Apprentice designation

hmgriffith

Best answers
Hi! I am new to the discussion boards and I am signing up to sit for the CPC exam in June. I noticed that there was something on there about needing letters of recommendation to not have apprentice designation. Does this only apply to people that have no previous experience or is this a requirement of everyone? If it is a requirement of everyone, what should be included in the letter? I know that the doc that I work for would probably make me type my own letter and have her sign it!:) So I was just wanting to know if this applies to all and if so what the letter needs to say! Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi! I am new to the discussion boards and I am signing up to sit for the CPC exam in June. I noticed that there was something on there about needing letters of recommendation to not have apprentice designation. Does this only apply to people that have no previous experience or is this a requirement of everyone? If it is a requirement of everyone, what should be included in the letter? I know that the doc that I work for would probably make me type my own letter and have her sign it!:) So I was just wanting to know if this applies to all and if so what the letter needs to say! Thanks in advance for your help!

It does apply to everyone. The letter just needs to verify that you've been coding for however long and that they feel your knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 is proficient. Good luck on your test!
Jenna

The letters of recommendation to apply to those that have coding experience when applying to sit for the certification exam. If you have at least two years of coding experience, then you will need to submit two letters on company letterhead and make sure they are signed. In the letters it will need to state how long you have been working (at least two years) and that you have been coding.

Another option would be, if you have taken a coding course that was at least 80 hours you could have an instructor write you a letter stating this and it will waive one year of coding experience. The other year will have to come from working in the actual coding field. You would then only need one letter from your manager/supervisor on company letterhead that is signed. This letter again would need to state how long you have been working (at least one year) and that you have been coding.

Either of these options would make it so you didn't have the apprentice designation when you passed the exam.

I hope this helps answer your question and good luck on your exam.

I'm going to take the exam in August, can anyone tell me where I fax these letters to, is it the proctor or someone from the AAPC directly?