Wiki appendectomy

Best answers
My Ob/GYn physician takes her patient to the OR for a dx laparoscopy for pelvic infection, 8cm adnexal mass and inclining WBC and RLQ pain. She converts to an open prodcedure when she finds that the pelvis shows purulent discharge and thickened omentum. Peritoneal cavity was entered and purulent discharge noted in RLQ. Appendix was attached to this complex . Appendix was dissected off. Trauma surgeon is called and performs an appendectomy. The incision was closed by my physician. Would I just code surgical assist appendectomy for my surgeon??

Hi

You can code only for those thing that your doctor did and what is related to her specialty. Also look for her part in appendectomy in operative report.If it says she assisted for appendectomy, then you may want to give her that credit with 80 or 82 modifier. Otherwise code only those procedure that she performed.Also if she decided to go for open procedure, you can not code laparoscopy since she decided to perform open procedure.

I hope this helps.

Vsavalia, CPC

Lap converted to open

I would also use the dx of V64.41 - laparoscopic surgical procedure converted to open procedure