Wiki APC of GAVE

efuhrmann

Best answers
Anyone willing to share any information(coding or otherwise) about aragon plasma coagulation GAVE?

control bleed vs ablation

I think this is a tricky one. For the longest time, I used the control bleed codes as well. My thought is the Dr is preventing bleeding, thus controlling it. However, I went to a seminar and the presenter leaned towards the ablation codes, when they were non-bleeding. I believe there is an old thread on this forum discussing whether or not control bleed is appropriate when nothing is bleeding. One of my providers states he ablates the non-bleeding GAVE of the stomach using APC. In those cases, I use the ablation code. But...I can't find anything concrete either way on this topic.

There is a lot of buzz around controlling of bleed and preventing of bleed. I agree with the previous poster. If physician goes in, finds an active bleeding before any procedure is being done, use the 45382, control of bleed. If no bleeding takes place, but the physician wants to prevent it and use the APC, I suggest you use 45383. Your dx codes should support which procedure was performed. 569.8X.