Wiki Aortoilliac angiogram during catherization

Best answers
Good Afternoon!
My provider usually does an aortoilliac angiogram during catherization. He wanted me to check if we could charge for it. My reseach tells me that if it is used to determing position of deployed angioseal, we cannot charge. We can charge ONLY if aortoilliac angiogram was used for diagnostic purposes.

Below is what is stated in his procedural note:
"aortoilliac angiogram was performed demonstrating good position of the sheath for deployment of a 6-french angio-seal".

To me, we cannot charge for this, as it was not done for diagnostic purposes.
I would appreciate input. Thank you.

Good Afternoon!
My provider usually does an aortoilliac angiogram during catherization. He wanted me to check if we could charge for it. My reseach tells me that if it is used to determing position of deployed angioseal, we cannot charge. We can charge ONLY if aortoilliac angiogram was used for diagnostic purposes.

Below is what is stated in his procedural note:
"aortoilliac angiogram was performed demonstrating good position of the sheath for deployment of a 6-french angio-seal".

To me, we cannot charge for this, as it was not done for diagnostic purposes.
I would appreciate input. Thank you.

In this example, you are correct. There are exceptions (few). The question I would ask myself when coding these cases is: Would the aortoilliac angiogram be done if the heart catheterization was not? If the answer is no, do not bill/code the aortoilliac angio.

HTH :)