Wiki Anyone have their CHONC?

Best answers
Does anyone have their CHONC? I'm thinking about taking it and was wondering how difficult the test was. Also, do you need additional CEU's and do they have to be specific to onc/hem coding or can they be general such as attending chapter meetings?

I have my CHONC, you do need to earn an additional 16 ceu's specific to the certification. When you're earning CEU's some are applicable to both your CPC and CHONC.

I took my CHONC the end of last year. If you work in oncology and infusion on a daily basis, it shouldn't be much trouble at all. I would recommend brushing up on some of the topics that you may not deal with often and also those that may differ between the 'coding' world and the actuall 'billing' world (ie the way specific payers require things that are not necessarily correct 'coding').

CHONC exam

Hi, good luck on your up coming exam. I took the CHONC last November. I have absolutely no chemo coding experience. A co-worker, also a member of my local chapter spent two hours with me teaching me everything I needed to know. She is absolutely brilliant! She provided a chemotherapy tier and we worked through a half dozen real coding examples together. I passed with a 81% my first time. Make sure you get both the online and practice book to study from the AAPC. Also book mark your books. For this exam you NEED to know your HCPCS book like the back of your hand. You need to know which HCPCS codes you need to use. I remember referring to the medical encyclopedia (my book of choice).
Once again good luck. Study hard now and rest a few days before the exam. Be sure to eat a light breakfast before the exam, bring water and a quiet snack during the exam.
Wishing you lots of luck!
Dana Chock, CPC,CCA, CANPC, CHONC
Anesthesia, Pathology, & Laboratory coder