Wiki Anyone else going it alone?

Sanne63

Best answers
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone else is taking the classes without the benefit of a teacher/tutor or classmates/classroom. I have a background in the medical field but am finding the CPC course daunting and confusing. I am not sure what I supposed to be doing. I am reading the ICD 10 manual, looking at the lectures, taking the quizzes and tests. I have no idea what the online workbook is for. There is no answer key for it. I do not know if I am supposed to do that in conjunction with the textbook. I do not know what to do with the CPT book and the HCPC book has not arrived yet. There does not seem to be a lesson plan or any information that I can find that indicates what to do first and how to proceed.
Anyone else having these thoughts or difficulties?
Susanne

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone else is taking the classes without the benefit of a teacher/tutor or classmates/classroom. I have a background in the medical field but am finding the CPC course daunting and confusing. I am not sure what I supposed to be doing. I am reading the ICD 10 manual, looking at the lectures, taking the quizzes and tests. I have no idea what the online workbook is for. There is no answer key for it. I do not know if I am supposed to do that in conjunction with the textbook. I do not know what to do with the CPT book and the HCPC book has not arrived yet. There does not seem to be a lesson plan or any information that I can find that indicates what to do first and how to proceed.
Anyone else having these thoughts or difficulties?
Susanne

Are you taking the AAPC CPC course?

I would suggest looking at the course instructions, course syllabus, and orientation video. Those should explain what you need to do to work through the self-paced course.

For each chapter, you should be reading the course textbook and watching the lectures to learn each chapter's topic of discussion. For each chapter, you'll take the quiz, do the Practical Application, and take the chapter exam.

The ICD-10, CPT, and HCPC books are used as references for looking up codes when you get to the relevant chapters. You don't really read them cover to cover. (Though familiarizing yourself with the guidelines and how the indexes are set up will be helpful.)

In my recollection, the course starts off teaching you general background information about healthcare and medical terminology. Then it moves on to ICD-10 coding - learning the parts of a code and how to use the ICD-10 book to search for codes.

In later chapters, you'll learn how to look up CPT codes. In my recollection, the CPC course breaks up each section of the CPT book into different chapters. You'll have a chapter for the integumentary system, cardiovascular system, digestive system, nervous system, etc. Make sure to watch all of the lectures for each chapter - you'll get valuable information on special coding rules for the body system covered by that chapter.

I've done 2 online courses through the AAPC - the CPC course and the CIC course. If you have any other specific questions on how to work your way through the course, I can try to help.

Also, on the course contacts, there should be an email address you can use to reach the course instructors if you really feel stuck & don't understand how to proceed.

Good luck!

Are you taking the AAPC CPC course?

I would suggest looking at the course instructions, course syllabus, and orientation video. Those should explain what you need to do to work through the self-paced course.

For each chapter, you should be reading the course textbook and watching the lectures to learn each chapter's topic of discussion. For each chapter, you'll take the quiz, do the Practical Application, and take the chapter exam.

The ICD-10, CPT, and HCPC books are used as references for looking up codes when you get to the relevant chapters. You don't really read them cover to cover. (Though familiarizing yourself with the guidelines and how the indexes are set up will be helpful.)

In my recollection, the course starts off teaching you general background information about healthcare and medical terminology. Then it moves on to ICD-10 coding - learning the parts of a code and how to use the ICD-10 book to search for codes.

In later chapters, you'll learn how to look up CPT codes. In my recollection, the CPC course breaks up each section of the CPT book into different chapters. You'll have a chapter for the integumentary system, cardiovascular system, digestive system, nervous system, etc. Make sure to watch all of the lectures for each chapter - you'll get valuable information on special coding rules for the body system covered by that chapter.

I've done 2 online courses through the AAPC - the CPC course and the CIC course. If you have any other specific questions on how to work your way through the course, I can try to help.

Also, on the course contacts, there should be an email address you can use to reach the course instructors if you really feel stuck & don't understand how to proceed.

Good luck!
Thank you so very much for responding. I find that when I am coding, the longer the description is, I can guarantee that I will code it wrong. I seem to get caught up in the excess of words. I understand that they are essential but I become lost. It is making me nuts. I am stuck on chapter 5 and will most likely have to go over it again.
Susanne

Thank you so very much for responding. I find that when I am coding, the longer the description is, I can guarantee that I will code it wrong. I seem to get caught up in the excess of words. I understand that they are essential but I become lost. It is making me nuts. I am stuck on chapter 5 and will most likely have to go over it again.
Susanne
Oh yes,
I am taking the AAPC CPC course.