Wiki Any Recommendations for an E/M Course ?

Yes, they're very well produced and we actually require them for our physicians as part of their compliance plan. Dr. Jensen teaches providers how to document for medical necessity and for level of service while using MDM to validate the LOS. (for those of us with NHIC as our contractor, this is valuable information for our providers). These courses are short, informative and logical. Our coders can get AAPC CEUs and providers can get CMEs. Well worth the $$.

Yes, I agree with Pam and also recommend E & M University. And for $99 you can get the Coder's Package and 21 online AAPC CEMC CEUS. $99 gets you a 90 day access to the Coder's Package. In addition, there are templates and other examples that you can download.

They are ok if you need some basic E/M knowledge. But if you are under Trailblazer jurisdiction, you will need to remember that rules that Dr. Jensen is using are different from Trailblazer E/M guidelines.
Per Trailblazer,
you can't use statement “all others negative” to support comprehensive ROS;
you can't use 2-4 organ systems/body areas for EPF exam and 5-7 for a Detailed exam when you are applying 95 guidelines;
if you are using status of 3 chronic conditions for “extended” HPI you need to make sure that it is not doctor's assessment of those conditions, but patient's statements as to how they are doing with regard to those chronic conditions.
In other words, if you take that course make sure that your carrier(s) follow the same rules as Dr. Jensen.

Thanks,

Sofia MS, CPC

oh, also Trailblazer approach to assess MDM portion is completely different from Dr. Jensen's and I'm afraid it may get you only confused if you are new to E/M.

Thanks,

Sofia MS, CPC

Hi Everyone:

I found an E/M Course that I plan on taking in July. It is one of the CATS courses from AHIMA, titled: E/M Coding for Professional Services. Below is the course description.

This 4 CEU, 12-lesson course and its related 10-question, 1 CEU assessment explore some of the more difficult coding issues surrounding E&M codes ranging from 99201-99499. The lessons are:

Documentation Guidelines Overview
Outpatient E&M Codes
Emergency Room and Observation
Preventive Medicine
Hospital Services
Other Inpatient E&M Codes
Neonatal and Newborn
Consultations
Critical Care
Home Health and Case Management
Other Special Services
E&M Modifiers

If you are interested, the link to the page is: http://www.ahima.org/continuinged/campus/courseinfo/cats.aspx

Will let you know how it is.

Ellen