Wiki Any Ortho coders trying to learn Cardio?

Robbin109

Expert
Best answers
I'm looking for someone who is proficient in ortho coding to help me.

I'm a certified cardiology coder, CCC, so I could teach you cardio.

Looking for someone to trade coding questions/answers via email.

I didn't think anything could be harder than cardiology coding....until I tried to learn ortho...shew!

~Michelle, CPC, CCC

I am a Certified Orthopaedic Surgery Coder.

Yes, I have heard, and been told many times, that Ortho and Cardio are the most difficult to learn, and to code.

I am interested in learning cardio, but at the moment, I don't have a call for it. However, that may change in the (possibly, near) future.

Adrienne, CPC, CMRS, COSC

Maybe you can help me now and I would be happy to help you at any point in the future?

Also, Can you suggest a good educational book to learn Orotho. I bought the Advanced Coding Education Guide for Orthopedics by Margie Vaught, which is good, but it just right to advanced procedures and skips over a lot of the basic/beginner stuff I need.

I'm looking at the Decision Health Orthopedic procedure Coding books, but I'm not sure this is what I am looking for either.

Looking for a book that explains each procedure and tells when something can and can't be billed with it..etc.

Any Suggestions?

There are some really good coding softwares out there. I, personally, like and use EncoderPro.com.

If you want to learn and understand tests, signs, or really, anything ortho, I highly recommend "A Manual of Orthopaedic Terminology". I believe the 7th Edition is the latest. The authors are listed as Fred R.T. Nelson, MD, FAAOS and Carolyn Taliaferro Blauvelt, and is a publication of Mosby/Elsevier.

I started in Ortho in the 90's and new NOTHING. Back then, the office had (I believe) the 2nd Edition. I LIVED out of that book. It was, literally, my BIBLE!

I recommend it to every ortho practice. Even with the internet, I still think it's one of the best resources for understanding and learning.

It won't have CCI edits and such, you will need something else for that.

Aside from the EncoderPro.com, I also have CodeX, which is the AAOS' electronic version (and then some) of their paper publication, Global Service Data for Orthopaedics, which is a huge 2-volume resource. The electronic version offers the same, plus much more, plus it doesn't weigh anything.

BTW, AAOS = The American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons

Hope that helps, some.

Do you want to exchange email addresses?

Adrienne, CPC, CMRS, COSC

Ortho is pretty cut and dry (or should I say cut and pin (lol))
If you are a cardiology coder you will pick it up quickly.
I rely heavily on Encoder and use it daily. It will not give you commercial payer specific guidelines but as any good procedural coder knows it's all in the edits and encoder has a wonderful column one column two tool.
I am willing to help you. Just give me a shout.

Thanks for the info and resources. I use Encoder already and love it.

I will look into those two references you told.

I will send you both my work email privately thru AAPC and maybe we can correspond thru there with any specific questions..?

THANKS!!!!!!!:):):)