Wiki Annual Physical Labs

jmeberst314@gmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I work for a family practice and we have been having a lot of difficulty ordering annual physical labs. We have been using V70.0 when ordering the labs (CBC, CMP, Lipid and a TSH), but either all of the codes are denying or only one will pay and the others deny. I've spoken to the insurance companies and they state that they need a preventative diagnosis code but cannot actually tell me what the code is. Do any of you have any insight?

Last edited:
labs done with physical

The V70.0 is only used for routine general medical examination at a health care facility. Please do not send your labs out with the V70.0 code. If labs are ordered by your provider "as part of their routine general examination" you may use V72.62 (Laboratory examination ordered as part of a routine general medical examination).
Thanks,
Dana Chock CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC
Anesthesia, Pathology, and Laboratory Coder

Dana,

Thank you so much for that information, I will forward this information over to the rest of the office staff. Do you know if Medicare will accept this when used with annual physicals?

Jessica Eberst, CPC

Medicare doesn't cover routine lab work other than what's specifically stated in their Preventive Services policy. MedLearn Matters has a great grid/cheatsheet that gives the codes and the frequency of screening. So V72.62 won't be paid by Medicare for screening bloodwork.